V8 Staff
Keymaster

Look Maw, no flanges. :cheer: So I decided to clean up my firewall also. I wish I had taken some before pics but I was sitting out there thinking about and just jumped in. Where they put the body together they leave flanges to pinch together and spot weld. I thought it would look a lot cleaner if they weren’t there, maybe in the end it won’t be worth the effort but won’t know until you try, right? I just cut 3″ or 4″ at a time, there are 3 layers of metal coming together at the same point and I wanted to make sure it all kept its position. I removed the drip rails on a Maverick once and used the same procedure. I cut the vin tag off and positioned it right where it was just closer to the firewall and of course I will clean up the welds when I’m done. I finished the 2 sides. Now just have to finish going across the cowl.

Sorry if these aren’t clear as to what they are but the top and bottom pics are on their sides.

Well that’s interesting! As long as you can keep the structural integrity together, that’s a trick old customizers used to do. It does make collision repair people cringe, however… makes for a harder car to fix should something ever happen to it. But it will look smooth!

Kevin Oeste