12/08/2014 at #4746
This 1965 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu SS started in our shop with humble beginnings as shown in this photo. The V8 Speed & Resto Shop crew transformed this forlorn shell into a show-winning street cruiser with some great modifications without losing the DNA of the ’65 SS.12/11/2014 at #4805Frank SzymkowskiParticipant
very nice..12/11/2014 at #480612/28/2014 at #5025
This project involved starting with two cars to make one good one. The two donors consisted of a gold 1965 SS car, which was originally a six cylinder car. The other was a maroon 1965 Malibu which was purchased as a running and driving car, albeit very rusty. The maroon car had a 350 V8 and a Turbo 350 transmission.
Although the gold one came from Arizona, it still required some metalwork to restore. It had some rust in the quarter panels, trunk floor, and main floor. The dashboard also showed a bunch of rust and holes where the dash pad retained moisture.12/28/2014 at #502612/28/2014 at #502712/28/2014 at #5028
Our crew fabricated some small patches to repair the floors. We also used some floor sections from another donor car. There were several holes, but not enough to warrant a complete floor replacement. Our goal was to metal finish the holes in the floor so the repairs would be undetectable.12/28/2014 at #5029
The recently rebuilt 350 Chevrolet V8 was removed from the maroon car. The engine had good compression, so we stripped it clean. We would soon make performance upgrades to this engine and reinstall it.12/28/2014 at #5030
The maroon car had disc brakes previously installed, and we decided to reuse them. The brakes and spindles were removed from the chassis, and were media blasted and all the pieces were powder coated. These were rebuilt with new bearings, seals, and brake pads.12/28/2014 at #503112/28/2014 at #5032
The next metalwork project was to replace the trunk floor. The floor was rusty and was full of holes. The crew carefully drilled out the spot welds in the floor braces, and remove the rusty sheet metal. Replacement trunk floor sections were obtained from OPGI.12/28/2014 at #5033
The trunk sections were carefully trimmed and fit to the car, and then they were MIG welded in place. We used a butt weld a technique, bouncing around from one area to another and using small tack welds to minimize warpage. After the welding was complete, the welds were ground smooth to ensure an undetectable repair.12/28/2014 at #503412/28/2014 at #503512/29/2014 at #5044
Next, the crew assembled the restored chassis. The front upper and lower control arms were media blasted and painted in the black Eastwood ceramic paint, and new ball joints bushings were installed. They were attached to the chassis with new hardware.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.