Latest News and Posts from the V8 Speed and Resto Shop › Forums › V8 Forum – Car Enthusiasts Playground › V8 Speed and Resto Shop Car Builds › 1965 Chevrolet Impala SS Restoration
12/08/2014 at #4749
This ’65 Impala is getting some modern upgrades to become a slick highway flyer. Plans include fixing the rust and some previous repairs, installing a Ride Tech suspension system, a GM 6.0 V8 fueled by a MegaSquirt EFI system, a 6-speed manual box, and BRIGHT red paint!12/24/2014 at #4929
This 1965 Chevrolet Impala came to us after and restoration was started at a different shop. The car has been in the owner’s family since 1970, so we were honored and excited to bring this one back to the road.12/24/2014 at #4930
This car had seen years of daily driving and occasional racing use, and was showing signs of deterioration. It arrived in our shop having been media blasted and sprayed with a black epoxy primer. At first glance, we noticed some rust around the window frames, in the deck lid, and that the previous repairs were not complete.12/24/2014 at #4931
After a thorough inventory of the supplied parts, the crew began the metalwork.
The first project was to close the stock antenna hole using a steel insert. The piece was made and fitted to the hole, MIG welded, and ground smooth. We’re using an HTP MIG 200 welder for this task.12/24/2014 at #4932
Next, the crew began the rust repairs around the rear window frame. These window channels held water and rusted all the way through. The rusty metal was cut out with a thin 3M cutting disc on an air grinder. A new channel was fabricated using a shrinker/stretcher, welded in, and ground smooth. Gray primer prevented further rust.12/24/2014 at #493312/24/2014 at #4934
Next, the rear window filler panel was removed for additional rust repair.
The rearmost edge of the structure had rusted away.
A new channel was bent in the Mittler Brothers Box Pan Brake and contoured to the correct shape.12/24/2014 at #4935
Then it was welded in place with an HTP Quickspot II resistance spot welder.
Next, the middle part of the structure was measured, and a cardboard template was made to assist in fabricating a repair section.12/24/2014 at #4936
The upper portion of the repair section was punched with a dimple die on a Mittler Brothers punch in order to replace the original flared holes. These holes provided strength for the panel.
Then, the curved lower section was TIG welded with an HTP Invertig 221 to the upper. Soon, the rusty portions of the structure had been completely replaced.12/24/2014 at #4937
A contoured lip as added to mimic the shape of the original.
Once the piece was welded in place, it was cleaned with a wire wheel and 3M rowlock abrasive discs, and then sprayed it with primer.12/24/2014 at #493812/24/2014 at #4939
The tail pan section was rusty and damaged, so the crew removed the original panel by drilling out all the spot welds holding it in place.
Note the support rod welded in to keep the decklid opening the correct size.12/24/2014 at #4940
A new panel was obtained from Classic Industries, and it was fitted and welded in place. Note the fitting of the deck lid and tell light packets in this process to ensure all the panels fit properly before welding.02/02/2015 at #5153
The dash steel at the base of the windshield had rusted through, so we replaced the steel after fabricating some new pieces in-shop. The challenge here is that this is 3 layers of steel welded together, so they had to be replaced in the same manner.02/10/2015 at #5182
Next up was the lower cowl box on the passenger side. It is very common for this panel to rust, as they routinely held leaves and water and rusted from the inside out. We removed the original, fabricated a repair panel, and welded it in.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.