Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 159 total)
  • Author
    V8 Staff
    Keymaster

Thanks! There will be some video on this car for sure. The good thing about the seat center is that the color change is hidden when the seats are installed, meaning you don’t really see the division between the worn and darker area and the lighter color that was preserved by being hidden under the seat back.

Kevin Oeste

Frank Szymkowski
    Participant

Ill tell you what. If I ever need a restoration of any of my cars, Kevins shop is my first choice! Amazing work

V8 Staff
    Keymaster

Ill tell you what. If I ever need a restoration of any of my cars, Kevins shop is my first choice! Amazing work

That’s quite an honor coming from you, Frank, but God forbid any of your beautiful cars need restoring any time soon! Thanks!

Kevin Oeste

V8 Staff
    Keymaster

Integrating the steps of a complete restoration takes some thought. At this point, we elected to install the engine and transmission so that we’re not risking scratching up painted fenders in the future.

The fresh 428 awaits on the stand, the aluminum foil is a cheap & easy mask film to keep our stand from being painted all different colors.

The big Galaxie makes the big FE look like a 289 by comparison!

Kevin Oeste

V8 Staff
    Keymaster

Easy does it…

Almost there…

Touchdown!

The rebuilt C6 transmission was brought up from below, and the accessories were hung on the engine piece by piece.

Kevin Oeste

V8 Staff
    Keymaster

Although it is largely stock, the 428 will be fed by an owner-supplied Demon carburetor, and cooled by an Edelbrock water pump.

The original exhaust manifolds were Jet-Hot coated.

Kevin Oeste

Ward Frahler
    Participant

I know they weren’t big performance motors but you would have thought Ford would have come up with some kind of cast header like the earlier models. Enjoying the progress.

V8 Staff
    Keymaster

I know they weren’t big performance motors but you would have thought Ford would have come up with some kind of cast header like the earlier models. Enjoying the progress.

True statement!

Kevin Oeste

V8 Staff
    Keymaster

The heater core and housing were restored and reinstalled back on the firewall.

The inner fenders and core support were installed next.

Soon, the crew hung the “jambed” fenders on the nose. These were not final installed, but put in place for outside final color. This color has a high metallic content, so we wanted to paint the exterior with all the panels in place so the metallic pattern would match as much as possible. It’s not 100% required, but it helps. The masking paper was left on to protect the primer outside surface.

New brake booster

Some wiring and accessories going together

Restored / cleaned / polished dash clusters being reassembled

Kevin Oeste

V8 Staff
    Keymaster

As the mechanical items were going back together, it was time to build an exhaust system so the 428 can breathe. We pieced together a mandrel-bent 2.5” stainless system using MagnaFlow tubing that mimicked the factory design but with better flow. The exhaust tip location is finalized after the rear bumper is installed later on.

Snaking the tubes over the rear axle

Kevin Oeste

Frank Szymkowski
    Participant

artist at work. Beautiful

V8 Staff
    Keymaster

artist at work. Beautiful

Thank you Sir!

Kevin Oeste

V8 Staff
    Keymaster

More details are assembled, like the window regulator mechanisms and cranks and door latches and locks. These were cleaned and lubricated, with repairs made as needed.

Adjustments are made to ensure smooth operation.

The original seat is test-fit and the steering column is installed so the car is easier to move around the shop. Eastwood sound deadener is being installed to keep the road and engine noise down inside the passenger compartment.

Kevin Oeste

V8 Staff
    Keymaster

Soon, enough of the engine and interior had been installed, and the big day arrived to spray the Standox basecoat Emberglo and and clear on the outside of the 7-Litre’s body. The primer has been wet sanded to 600 grit and thoroughly cleaned.

The boot was cleaned and the car was rolled into the booth.

GoJacks are used to maneuver the car in the booth to get it in position to be jacked up and masked off.

The trunk and tail light openings are masked off with 3M tape and masking paper.

The big Galaxie is jacked up, and the wheels are removed. The window openings, wheel openings, and engine bay are all masked off, and the bottom of the car is masked to the floor.

3M foam tape is used in the door jambs.

Kevin Oeste

V8 Staff
    Keymaster

The car is cleaned again and wiped with a tack cloth, and a fresh batch of Standox Emberglo basecoat is mixed.

V8 Speed & Resto Shop painter Jeff Wittlich suits up and dons his 3M PPS cup equipped SATA spray gun and heads into the booth to turn our big gray 7-Litre into a sea of Emberglo metallic!

It’s on!

Jeff starts at the top of the car and works his way down and around. This color covers very well over the primer.

Soon, the first coat is complete.

As sweet as the car looks in satiny basecoat, we’re excited about seeing it wearing a new shiny clear coat!

Kevin Oeste

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 159 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.