12/08/2014 at #4744
“Reloaded” is the name of this Pro-Touring 1968 Chevrolet Camaro, and for good reason. Starting with the remnants of an original ’69 SS 396 Camaro, the V8 Speed & Resto Shop Crew transformed this one into a big-block powered, road hugging show-stopper with timeless styling and excellent build quality.12/16/2014 at #4901
The owner of this Camaro bought the car back in the ’80s, and had driven it for a short period of time, and wanted to build a Pro-Street version which was all the rage back then. However, he didn’t get very far on the build, and the project stalled as you see it in this pic:12/19/2014 at #4909
This video tells the story of the history of this ’68 Camaro and how we knew it’s owner, as well as outlining some of the plans for the car!Rb7chlw17TU[/youtube]12/24/2014 at #4941
The owner retained most of the original parts from the car, and being from California originally, it appeared to be pretty solid.
The stock sub frame was not very rusty, and most of the panels appeared to be usable.12/24/2014 at #4942
One interesting feature on this car is the dent in the original SS hood, which was A victim of a failed flex fan blade!
Our crew installed the body shell onto the auto twirler rotisserie, and hauled the car and it’s parts to our shop.12/24/2014 at #4943
The initial inspection showed rust in all of the places where Camaros and Firebirds rust. This one had rusty wheel opening edges in the quarter panels, the bottom of the cowl boxes were rusty from holding wet leaves, and the window frames were rusty.
The windows and the rear deck lid a filler panel rusted heavily from moisture being held in the vinyl top.12/24/2014 at #4944
The passenger quarter panel showed a few metal tears, but the cabin floors appeared very solid.12/24/2014 at #4945
A few exploratory cuts showed significant rust damage inside the lower cowl box, so these would definitely need to be replaced.
Grinding on the quarter panel showed a coat of body filler and numerous dents.
The driver side rear frame rail was split and pinched, so a replacement would be necessary.12/24/2014 at #4946
The stock subframe appeared to be in good shape, but the lower crossmember was distorted from hitting curbs and being used as a jack point with a floor jack. We simply removed the center of the lower crossmember, hammered it flat, and reinstalled it into the subframe. We also added hey strengthening brace inside the crossmember before welding the center section back in.12/24/2014 at #494702/02/2015 at #5152
We repaired the rusty body mounts on the subframe by removing the rusty steel and replacing it with new material.02/22/2015 at #5278
While the subframe was being repaired, we fixtured the Camaro’s body on our body jig. This fixture attaches to the factory suspension mounting locations and ensures the body structure remains true and square during any sheetmetal repairs.02/22/2015 at #5279
It appeared the rear tail pan had some previous crash damage, and we stripped off some paint and body filler to see what was up.
It was obvious that some repairs were made at one time.02/22/2015 at #5280
We did a little more “exploring” with a D/A sander to strip the wheel arches and check for other rust or damage.02/22/2015 at #5281
Cutting a hole in the lower cowl box “tulip panel” revealed some pretty scaly rust inside, so we elected to replace the panel.
The original spot welds were drilled and the panel was peeled away from the body.
Both sides required this repair.
Any remaining rust or scale in the cowl was ground out and removed.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.