Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Daryl Wolf
    Participant

Which engine oil viscosity provides the best protection for a Chevy 496 Big Block motor?

Daryl

V8 Staff
    Keymaster

Daryl, that is a tricky question. The general rule of thumb is to run the lowest viscosity possible that still delivers good oil pressure. Details about the engine should be considered… is it new with tight bearing clearances and good ring seal, or is it a high-milage engine with loose tolerances? What is the use of the engine… daily driver, high-rpm race engine, or other? I’d be sure to have a good accurate oil pressure gauge, then try to run a synthetic that delivers at least 20 psi at hot idle. Many would argue the old 10 psi per 1000 rpm rule, some even say that is higher than necessary. It’s all a matter of what you’re comfortable with. Use a good oil and change it often, that’s the key to longevity.

Kevin Oeste

Daryl Wolf
    Participant

Thank you for that info. My oil pressure gauge reads the same with the present 5w30 Moble One synthetic as it did when using 10w40 oil. Engine has less than 10k miles on it. So it sounds like what I have should work ok.

Thanks,

Daryl

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.