There are many things to consider when planning a custom mandrel-bent exhaust system for your Classic, Muscle Car, or Hot Rod. Here at the V8 Speed and Resto Shop, we bring up a whole list of question to the customer as we plan a system. Here are some of the high points:
- What is the purpose of the car? Street driving, drag racing, road course racing, etc?
- What kind of exhaust system is on the car now?
- Do you have headers?
- Do you have catalytic converters?
- Do you want stainless or mild steel?
- Do you want any type of coating? Ceramic? Color?
- Do you prefer MIG or TIG welding?
- Do you want an X or H Pipe?
- Do you prefer Tucked tightly to floor or right out of the box fitment?
- What kind of tips do you prefer? Where?
- What size pipe diameter? 2.5″ is most common, but 3″ can often be accommodated.
- Round or oval pipe?
- Do you have a brand of mufflers you prefer?
- What sound level do you want? Stock / quiet, loud, etc?
- What type of tone? Mellow, deep, raspy, etc.?
- Do you want cutouts?
- Is there a preference for clamps? Standard pipe clamps, welded-on V-Band, etc?
Once these questions are answered, our techs can go to work designing a system that delivers on all requests.