Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    Goran
    Participant

I have finally found the finally time to start dismantling my wife’s -64 Nova.
    This car was sold new in Sweden in 1964 and was driven until the early eighties
    when it was put in storage, so this is really a barnfind.

The previous owner managed to get it on the road again after more than 30 years in storage.
    The original straight six and threespeed manual trans where tossed away and replaced with
    a 350 and a TH350 transmission. Unfortunately this guy was in over his head mainly due to
    lack of a proper garage, all work was done in a parking lot and the workmanship left a lot to be desired.

So after the rearend gave up on him it was put up for sale.
    The differential gears had seized on its axle probably due to some enthusiastic one wheel
    burnouts and or lack of lubricant and the loose pieces got into the gearset and so the rearwheels
    suddenly stopped, fortunately he did not wreck it nor did he got hurt!
    Almost everything but the housing and driveshafts became junk!

This is where me and my wife enters the picture, She had been searching for a Nova for some time
    and normally when we do a nationwide search on “Blocket” (Our Carigslist) two or three Novas
    show up that are either A Racecar , a total wreck or a pristine overprized showcar.
    But this one turned out to fit our budget and seemed restorable, So we got it home on a flatbead.

And after a complete rebuild of the rearend with a new gearset new auburn diff and new bearings
    it was driveable (I use the term driveable wery loosely here!) .

Just before doing the first actual roadtest to see what we really had bought I noticed that:
    1 The right frontwheel had a strange camberangle.
    2 The dustcap of the right front wheelbearing was missing.
    3 The spindle nut was not really centered in the hub.
    I have never seen wheelbearing fail that bad! What was left of the outer bearing was only the
    races, and someone had put a big washer behind the castlenut to keep the wheel from falling off.
    The castlenut that is not normally even fingertight was securely torqed to hold the wheel in place.
    The inner race had actually welded itself to the spindle and had to be cut in pieces to be removed.

After bearing replacement we did a quick roadtest to see if any more surprises would show up and
    to check that driving position was ok for my wife (She is only 148 Cm long). And as I mentioned before
    it was “driveable” and we made it back alive and found out that it could do quite nice burnouts
    and the brakes worked, it had a strange noise in the front suspension and pulled hard to the right all
    the time.

Now the plan is to do a restomod restoration and to try keep it running while doing so. First action will
    be to swap in a new frontsuspension from Volvo 240 to get us discbrakes and powersteering. The volvo
    crossmember is bolted to two framerails that has almost the same with as the Nova. And since the Nova
    has the springs on top of the upper A arms the loadbearing structure for mounting the volvo struts are there
    already.
    The distance between the top of the Novas shocks are within a couple of centimeters of the distance between
    the volvo struts.

DSCN2046.JPG

DSCN2175.JPG

Start of teardown, note angle of engine! I also found out the rear transmount was not mounted.

DSCN2196.JPG
    Stock suspension removed and mockup of the volvo suspension, the struts will be shortened
    and converted to coilovers.

V8 Staff
    Keymaster

Great project! Please keep us posted with the progress, I am very curious to see how the Volvo 240 suspension swap goes.

Are you keeping the 350 V8 for power?

Check out:
    V8 Radio Podcast: https://www.v8radio.com
    V8TV YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/V8TV

Goran
    Participant

The powerplant will be a 4.3L V6 and TH700 out of an -90 Chevy Astro.
    I know that it it might feel a bit strange to put a V6 instead of the 350 in it ,but Marie wants a modern drivetrain with fuelinjection and an automatic with overdrive for best driveability.
    And we dont want to have to much hassle to get the car inspected and streetlegal. It is possible to register an early Nova with a V8, but he largest engine allowed is 200 Hp and 283 Cui.(I just hope they will not notice the Volvo front suspension! 🙂 )
    And the 150 Hp V6 just happens to be sitting in my shed, and it is a bit lighter than the smallblock
    and everybody just expects a carbed 350 under the hood!

I have been mocking up the crossmember and found out that it sits really low, the lowest point will
    at least 2 inches below the oilpan, but it is quite easy to cut and raise it two inches to get better geometry and ground clearance. We will not slam it, but we don’t want the gasser stance either!
    DSCN2202.JPG

V8 Staff
    Keymaster

The powerplant will be a 4.3L V6 and TH700 out of an -90 Chevy Astro.
    I know that it it might feel a bit strange to put a V6 instead of the 350 in it ,but Marie wants a modern drivetrain with fuelinjection and an automatic with overdrive for best driveability.
    And we dont want to have to much hassle to get the car inspected and streetlegal. It is possible to register an early Nova with a V8, but he largest engine allowed is 200 Hp and 283 Cui.(I just hope they will not notice the Volvo front suspension! 🙂 )
    And the 150 Hp V6 just happens to be sitting in my shed, and it is a bit lighter than the smallblock
    and everybody just expects a carbed 350 under the hood!

I have been mocking up the crossmember and found out that it sits really low, the lowest point will
    at least 2 inches below the oilpan, but it is quite easy to cut and raise it two inches to get better geometry and ground clearance. We will not slam it, but we don’t want the gasser stance either!

The 4.3 V6 should move that little Nova down the road with ease. Coupled to the modern front suspension, it should be a really nice car to drive. I’m sure there are ways to make the 4.3 perform like the “legal” 200hp 283!

Check out:

Goran
    Participant

The crossmember had to be cut down

DSCN2203.JPG

The crossmember will be welded to two 5mm (No idea what that would be in gauges, 🙂 ) steel plates
    that will be bolted to the framerails. Being able to remove the front clip and turn it upside down is
    a real neat feature,

DSCN2204.JPG

Everything turned back to normal again with the steering rack in place, Now I have to fabricate the rear controlarm mounts.

DSCN2207.JPG

DSCN2210.JPG

/Goran

V8 Staff
    Keymaster

That looks like it is fitting together pretty well! Have you thought about header clearance or motor mounts yet?

Check out:

Goran
    Participant

Strutmounts fabricated and tacked in to place. I have used the Volvo top part and fabricated the rest in 2mm sheetmetal. At first I thought I could do the sheetmetal in one piece using a card board template, but soon realized that 2 mm sheetmetal is a bit harder to bend than a piece of cardboard 🙂

DSCN2226.JPG

It seems that the struts do not need to be shortened as the suspension travel seems to be adequate.
    The next task will be to make engine mounts and figure out clearence for steering shaft and exhaust so I can finish up all welding and send the front clip to sandblasting and paint.

DSCN2230.JPG

Goran
    Participant

The engine is in! I did let the driveshaft give the longitudinal position. Passengerside motormount is fabricated and I had to cut into the innerfender removing part of the old upper A arm mount and innerfender to body mount to get clearence for the exhaust manifold. The cutouts will of course be tidied up when I take it all apart for cleanup and paint.

A funny sidenote, during the cutting of the innerfender a thought crossed my mind “Why dont I buy a pair of blockhugger headers, they would fit, Right?” After thinking over it for a couple of seconds I realized that:
    1 This is still a V6 for crying out lud, there ar no blockhuggers available as far as I know!
    2 I need coffee, now, badly!

DSCN2236.JPG

The driverside mount could not be mounted in the stock position since some idiot has placed a steering rack in the way 🙂 So I used the Volvo mounting point in the crossmeber instead.
    Plenty of room for exhaustmanifold and steering shaft on this side.

DSCN2237.JPG

V8 Staff
    Keymaster

Looking good! You are making great progress, thanks for the updates! That Nova now looks like it was made for that suspension and V6.

I can’t say I’ve ever seen block huggers for a 6…

We’re excited to see the progress, keep us posted!

Check out:

Goran
    Participant

We have steering! I ordered steering u joints from http://www.jocar.se excellent service had them in two days. One DD-DD and one DD-3/4-48 splines for the volvo rack, The column is out of a -67 Buick skylark, also visible is the shift linkage.

DSCN2238.JPG

Now that all major mock-up and fabrication for the frontend is done it will be disasembled so I can finish up all welding and do some rust repair. Even though it looks horrible the main structure like chassirails and rockers are in great condition due to heavy use of rustproofing!

DSCN2244.JPG

And it good to know that if the Volvo discs wont be up to task of stopping the car, that we have the optional Flintstone brakes! 🙂

DSCN2246.JPG

/Goran

V8 Staff
    Keymaster

Nice work! It looks the steering shaft is happy. Sometimes you see people install far too many u-joints without correct support. Great job! I also like that you’ve been able to use the column shift linkage.

Check out:

Goran
    Participant

Marie is giving her little engine the beauty treatment.

DSCN2253.JPG

Unfortunately it was in vain, after deciding to do a valve job while the engine was out of the car we discovered this after pulling the heads. That’s what you get for doing things in the wrong order i guess 🙂
    But all hope is not lost, we found another engine to put the newly rebuild heads on and this one will get a complete going over. These engines are cheap even in Sweden.

DSCN2256.JPG

This lot is ready to be sent to sandblast and paint.

DSCN2265.JPG

And now for the quiz, What is this dohickey?
    I found this inside the cowlarea while doing rustrepair, I guess it could be a part from the spotwelding robot at the factory. No trace of it is visible from the inside.

DSCN2262.JPG

/Goran

V8 Staff
    Keymaster

Marie is giving her little engine the beauty treatment.

Unfortunately it was in vain, after deciding to do a valve job while the engine was out of the car we discovered this after pulling the heads. That’s what you get for doing things in the wrong order i guess 🙂
    But all hope is not lost, we found another engine to put the newly rebuild heads on and this one will get a complete going over. These engines are cheap even in Sweden.

This lot is ready to be sent to sandblast and paint.

And now for the quiz, What is this dohickey?
    I found this inside the cowlarea while doing rustrepair, I guess it could be a part from the spotwelding robot at the factory. No trace of it is visible from the inside.

/Goran

That’s a bummer about the engine, but at least you found a replacement.

Are you asking about the little cone-shaped object in the right-center of the photo?

Check out:

Goran
    Participant

Yes, and as far as i can see it serves no purpose.

/Goran

Goran
    Participant

The Nova build has done some progress, the rust damage has been patched. The firewall has got a coat of semigloss black and some shiny brake booster and mastercylinder upgrade. And soundproofing has been installed on the inside.

DSCN2279.JPG

DSCN2284.JPG

Is the Nova under alienattack? No it’s just my very good friend Lulle who is doing his magic on the front suspension parts.

DSCN2280.JPG

/Goran

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.