Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    V8 Staff
    Keymaster

I’ve been thinking that most of the cars we see here in the V8 Speed & Resto shop are non-original in some fashion.

It makes me wonder just how many have been changed.

I’m not really talking about a numbers matching 100% correct Yenko Camaro with all it’s original parts, more of like a survey of how many cars have been repainted a different color and are maybe running a non-stock driveline.

I’ll go first:

My ’62 Ford Galaxie 500 XL is a real XL, but it was originally color code “I” by the trim tag. This was Castilian Gold:

It’s a great color, and it must have looked awesome with the black top / interior. However, the car has been red since we’ve owned it, so red it is.

Here’s a shot of a ’62 in Castilian Gold I found online submitted by a guy named Joe Abela:

Ours was also a Z code 300HP 390 / 4BBL V8 with a 3-speed Cruise-o-matic auto trans and a 3.0 rear gear. Today it is running a 380 HP 351 Windsor and a 4-speed 4R70W automatic with a 3.70:1 rear gear.

Ever decode the trim tag on your ride? What did you find? Would you return it to stock?

V8 Staff
    Keymaster

By the way, most of this information came from the Galaxie registry for decoding the tag.

http://www.62ford.com/registry/default.asp

Also, there is a great paint site called PaintRef which allows you to look up just about any color on any car.

http://www.paintref.com

Mike Clarke
    Keymaster

Good topic. My 67 GTO is originally Signet Gold with black vinyl top. The engine was the standard 335 hp 400cid engine with TH400 transmission and has a pretty tall highway gear. My car is still gold but it’s been repainted a slightly different shade and has some metallic in it. I think it looks nice. As far as options, mine came with A/C and power steering but, interestingly enough, did not come with power brakes. Interesting factoid; an economy version of the GTO was available with a 250 hp 2 barrel carb for those who wanted the look of the GTO at an economy price.

I picked up a repro window sticker based on my dealer invoice. Pretty cool the things you can get for your classic, these days.

Attachments:
    V8 Staff
    Keymaster

I did not know about the 250 HP version. Very interesting.

Is yours the original block?

Mike Clarke
    Keymaster

No. It’s a 68 block although it is the correct YS code for an auto car. 4 speeds got a WS block. There’s no difference in block design. It’s merely a code stamped on the front of the block. The intake and heads are correct 67 units but not original. Heck, even the rear diff is a 64-66 unit. Pretty much nothing driveline related is original on this heap which I take as a bit of a blessing as it allows me to do whatever I want to it without adversely affecting its value and without anyone crying foul at molesting an original car.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

V8 Staff
    Keymaster

Mine was the same way with the original guts long gone.

Joseph Marconi
    Participant

Mine was originally color code 71 LeMans blue with white vinyl top. Was single repaint back in 2001 to Torch Red. Original 350 block long gone but has original TH350 tranny and rear end. Car is factory C60 air conditioned car with delux interior. Z28 emblems added in 2001 as well. 4 wheel Wilwood brakes added in 2008. All original panels, no patches that I can find, even original trunk splatter paint. All glass original except windshield. Not sure what future holds but would love to return it to its original colour sans vinyl roof and make it a COPO clone.

V8 Staff
    Keymaster

It’s hard to beat a LeMans Blue ’69. How long have you had the car?

Joseph Marconi
    Participant

It’s hard to beat a LeMans Blue ’69. How long have you had the car?

I’ve had it since 2004.

V8 Staff
    Keymaster

Not sure what future holds but would love to return it to its original colour sans vinyl roof and make it a COPO clone.

That would be sweet.

Frank Szymkowski
    Participant

My Torino was white, black interior and white top. it still is! Same engine too.

Joseph Marconi
    Participant

My Torino was white, black interior and white top. it still is! Same engine too.

You are one of the fortunate ones.

V8 Staff
    Keymaster

I might be picking up a new toy… I’ll start a thread if it comes to be. But it is “as born”, would be my first!

Mike Clarke
    Keymaster

I might be picking up a new toy… I’ll start a thread if it comes to be. But it is “as born”, would be my first!

Intriguing!

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

V8 Staff
    Keymaster

Yeah, one of them things that I don’t want to get into unless it materializes. You know how things can go!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.